RECIPE: DELICIOUS TACO LASAGNA
Doesn’t that look delicious? It really is. I am always, as usual, looking for easy and simple recipes that I can make for my family. I love preparing home cooked meals, I just don’t like spending a lot of time in the kitchen to do it. I like for my total preparation and cook time to be 30 minutes or less. Once it’s in the oven or crockpot, it can take as long as it wants. *smiles*
I came up with the recipe Taco Lasagna, (which I’m sure you will find plenty of variations online), because my boys were getting tired of having plain tacos for dinner. I decided to do something different, and since I have a few boxes of lasagna noodles in my cabinet Taco Lasagna came to mind.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup of Portabello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 cup of water
- 1 jar of taco sauce
- 1 cup of salsa
- 6-8 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups of shredded lettuce
- 2 cups of Mexican cheese blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot add water and a pinch of salt. Let the water come to a rolling boil and add your lasagna noodles to it. Allow the noodles to boil for 10-15 minutes, turn the stove off and remove the pot from the hot eye.
- Turn your stove to medium high and brown the two pounds of ground beef in a skillet. While the meat is browning, add the diced onions and chopped Portabello mushrooms to the skillet.
- Once the meat has browned, drain the greasy liquid from the meat and veggies mixture. Return the meat to the skillet and add the one package of taco seasoning and 1 cup of water to the meat. Reduce the heat to the stove to medium low and allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes.
- Next, pour in the jar of taco sauce and add your salt and pepper to taste to the mixture. Combine this for another one to two minutes, or until the sauce has heated back up.
- While you are doing this, preheat your over to 350 degrees.
- In your lasagna pan add a little bit of the sauce to the bottom of the pan. (This keeps the noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan.)
- Next layer your ingredients in this order:
- 3-4 noodles
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- half of the taco meat mixture
- 1 cup of shredded lettuce
- 1 cup of Mexican Cheese blend
- You’re going to complete this layer combination two times for a total of two layers. Once you have added the last layer of cheese, pop your pan in the oven for a total of 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
I served my Taco Lasagna with garlic bread and the boys had a ball eating it. If you want to cut back the meat proportions on this but still make it filling, take away a pound of the hamburger meat and mix in some refried beans instead.
I hope you enjoy!